Travel: Downtown Thomasville, GA

Thomasville/Tallahassee
For five years I lived in Thomasville. It was my elementary years so every memory of it has a rosy, ethereal vignetting that only childhood can manifest. Mom and I used to wander through downtown stopping into the eclectic little shops picking out treats and craft projects. I even remember field trips downtown where teachers would explain some of the architectural details to us.

Since then the downtown has developed incredibly. Shop after shop has its own specialization from cooking accessories and seasoning, leather goods, vintage and new clothing, pet treats, yarn craft supplies, quirky interior decor, and traditional dishware sets. I talked about the fluidity of place and time in my last post because I felt it when I was here. That this place has changed and I come back to it changed. And still, I appreciate this town with its cute coffee shop and rose parade.

I'm glad this is a place for me to make new memories while cherishing the old. Here I am simultaneously a stranger and, then again, not. I've thought more than once that I'd like to meet the city manager or members of the Downtown Development Authority. I'm so impressed with the area that I think that pink rosy residue of my childhood has altered my perception of the present. Aren't those how some childhood places and memories work though? Where we turn them over in our hands, promising never to break or tarnish them? Instead of an object, for me, it is a place. A living thing. Something that could disappoint me. So far, though, it hasn't.

Thomasville/Tallahassee Thomasville/Tallahassee Thomasville/Tallahassee Thomasville/Tallahassee Thomasville/Tallahassee Thomasville/Tallahassee Thomasville/Tallahassee Thomasville/Tallahassee Thomasville/Tallahassee Thomasville/Tallahassee

Comments

  1. Damn that city looks pretty! I can imagine myself walking down the streets and taking pictures of everything I see :D okay, I do that everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so pretty! I would love to visit for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quaint and fun. A good south GA place to visit. :)

      Delete
  3. This is such a charming town! I love the photos!!

    www.chaudadventure.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The shops are so incredible. Very cool shots. loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting place. I would love to visit this some time. Great to be a stranger to a familiar place!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing photos and really amazing town! I love the atmosphere of it :) Thanks for sharing

    Ally,
    www.inspo-book.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh! Thanks so much. Glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  7. It's always nice to visit places you lived and think about the memories even if it's little....There'll be changes but it's nice that you witnessed then and now

    ReplyDelete
  8. The way you have captured and described your city, it almost feel as if I'm already there. Great work and great words <3 :)
    xx
    J

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those shops though. How quaint and bespoke. I'm in love with this place. Jealous you called it home
    Katja
    www.katnapped.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! You rock.

Popular posts from this blog

How to: Dry Flowers (and what to do with them)

Recent work // October

D.I.Y.Crayon Candles